Are you looking for a diet thats easy to use and offers a variety of health benefits? Do you want a way to lose a few pounds without feeling deprived? Do you enjoy raw or fresh, simply-prepared foods? Perhaps the Paleo Diet is for you.
What is the Paleo Diet?
The Paleo Diet, also called the Caveman Diet or the Stone Age Diet, is based on the foods supposedly eaten by our ancestors during the Paleolithic era, a period that spanned about 2.5 million years and ended about 10,000 years ago. Foods of this era are incredibly basic and unprocessed.The 3 week diet is somewhat controversial and has many vocal proponents and detractors. Those in favor of this diet regime cite its many health benefits, a few of which are listed below:
- Encourages weight loss. The Paleo Diet promotes foods that our bodies turn to energy, such as meats, fish, fruits and vegetables. By getting rid of sugar-filled foods and carbs, this diet makes it easy to gradually lose weight in a healthy way. An added bonus to this diet is that because of its high-fiber foods, youll feel full even while you lose weight.
- Helps allergy sufferers. Many Americans suffer from mild food allergies to such things as processed sugar and wheat. These allergies can cause upper respiratory and stomach distress. Many of us dont even realize when it is food that is causing this discomfort.
- Increases energy. Sugar and carbohydrates are also energy-sappers. By getting rid of these empty calories, the Paleo Diet can ramp up your energy level.
- Improves digestion. Because this diet is rich in fiber, avoids salt, and stresses water over sugary beverages, it reduces bloat and promotes good digestion.
- May promote heart health. The Paleo Diet features many foods that have been proven to promote a healthy heart. These include fish rich in Omega-3 oils, such as salmon and mackerel, and an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables. Eliminating salt and processed foods from your diet, as is done with the Paleo regime, is another factor in improving your heart health.